Thursday, December 11, 2008

More Memories from Malaybalay

I want to recount some of the last few experiences I had while we were still in Malaybalay city.

YWAV Youth Meeting

Last Wednesday evening, most of our team was invited to speak at a christian youth gathering called YWAV (Youth With A Vision). I was going to speak and share the block tower illustration, and Tammy was going to share her testimony of how God had brought her through difficult circumstances in life. The Lord put a burden on my heart as I prepared to share with them (young people are some of my favorite age groups to speak to). Since this was a christian group, I was looking forward to sharing some of the important truths of God's Word that I have learned about having a relationship with God, meditating on His Word, and abiding in Him.

When I got in front of the group and started to share, I could tell that God was challenging their hearts through me in a way that I never could. I challenged them to be a disciple of Christ by being in the Word, and by deepening a relationship with Him. I then shared the block tower illustration that shows how important each decision is for our life, and emphasizes the need for good character.

Tammy's testimony went well, and afterwards in our small group discussion time the students really seemed to hear and understand the need for good choices and a relationship with God. I went away from the evening very encouraged about the seeds that were sown.

BSU Scholars

The next evening, our group shared with several hundred college students from Bukidnon State University on the same topics - the block tower (this time presented by David), and Tammy's testimony. They again both went well, and afterwards the leader decided to put each of us on the team as a small group leader with some of the students. After everyone was counted off and assigned to a leader, I watched as my group came walking my direction - I realized that it was a group of eight girls and no guys! I decided that since it was only for one night, I wouldn't make a big problem out of it (though it was slightly awkward!). I challenged them in the areas of life that are needed for everyone - relationship with God, meditation, etc.

We had a good discussion, and some of them asked some really good searching questions. One curve ball that was thrown at me was the question "what do you think about the saints - can they help us have a relationship with God?" The Lord really gave me wisdom to answer that question (I don't think I've ever been asked about that before), and I told them that they were human beings like me, and they couldn't help me with a relationship with God. However, each of them had a relationship with Christ, the same way that we must! Additionally, I said that Christ gave me a relationship with God, and that's good enough for me! We had a very encouraging discussion, and despite the initial awkwardness, it went very well!


We will continue to give updates on what goes on as we're here in Cebu, and I thank each of you for praying for us!

For His Kingdom,

Andrew

2 comments:

Mathews in Minnesota said...

Andy,

We are praying for you and the team. Keep up the good work and remember to keep Christ first.

Love,
Elizabeth

Mathews in Minnesota said...

Andy,

Remember not to drink any banana milkshakes!

Love,
Sam