Friday, December 5, 2008

An Interesting Meeting a Few Days Ago

On Sunday night, I had a very unusual opportunity that the Lord allowed. Pastor Rodney, our host here in Malaybalay, told our team about a special group of people that he ministers to—the city gangs.

He asked if we would like to have a character teaching session with them. We agreed to go. I had a rich time of fellowship with the Lord while I asked him if I should join the small team that was going. I felt that it was the right thing to do and told David that I would go.

Not knowing for sure what would happen, we traveled downtown to a soup kitchen where the gang agreed to meet us. After getting there and setting up, the gang carefully filed in one at a time. After they ate and we talked with them for a while, David stood up and began to teach.

Using several object lessons, he shared with them why it is important to make right choices, and how to rebuild your reputation if you make wrong choices. It was amazing to see the attentiveness they showed and how much they seemed to understand.

The saddest part of the evening was the small eight-year-old boy in the middle of this mostly twenty-year-old gang. It is sad to think of the influences on his life. Please pray for this boy and others like him who need the light of Christ here in the Philippines. Praise the Lord for what He is doing here in Malaybalay

- Josh Mathews

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, Josh! It's great to hear about you and your friends/family's serving our King!

Praying for you all...

~ Preston (from the NCFCA regional debate tournament)

Mathews in Minnesota said...

Josh,

We are praying for you and the team. Thanks for telling us about the 8 year old boy - we will pray for him too. I miss you Josh! I hope the next two weeks will fly by!

Love,
Sam

Mathews in Minnesota said...

Josh,
Thank you for the update. I enjoy hearing from you and what is going on. I am praying for you and the team. I hope that you can share the gospel with a lot of people.
Thanks again,
Elizabeth

Unknown said...

Thanks for the informative update it gives us great direction on how to pray for how the Lord is moving there. We continue to pray for you and for those you minister to that they would see the love of the Lord in you and your team. We thank the Lord for this wonderful opportunity He has provided for you, a time to see His power in motion.