Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Some of Our First Teaching Engagements

Thank you for your prayers for our team as we are here in the Philippines. Our contact back home is limited because internet is not readily available. Our team right now is in Malaybalay, on the island of Mindanao, in the southern part of the Philippines. We arrived in Manila around 1am on Thanksgiving morning (Filipino time) and spent the morning at the IBLP training center in Manila. Then, that afternoon we flew from Manila to Cagayan de Oro and then drove 3 hours deeper into the island to Malaybalay. We will be staying here until next Sunday, and then we’ll leave for Cebu in the central part of the Philippines.

We are staying at a resort type of area here in Malaybalay. It is a very beautiful and scenic area – we are nearly surrounded by mountains, and the trees and other plants growing here are very pretty. We are living in cottage huts with bamboo walls and grass roofs, but thankfully they do have hard cement floors! The other people here are very good, and they’ve kept us well fed!

Last Sunday, we were at a church that our hosts are the pastors of, and our group sang some songs and I had the opportunity to preach. I preached through a translator because not everybody in church is fluent in English, which was a very new experience for me! I talked about relationship with God, the importance of being in His Word, and accepting and living in the love of God. It went very well, and I was encouraged to see God work.

We have a very full week ahead of us, and we are scheduled to teach in government offices, university students, and several other groups. It has been very neat to sit and watch God work around us in many different areas as we’ve ministered here. I have enjoyed resting in the Lord and abiding in His Word over here, and I have been walking in the joy and love of Christ!

Thanks for praying for us! Leave a comment and keep in touch!

Andrew

8 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

God bless you all! I have and will continue to life you all up in prayer. Looks like a dynamic team that the Lord hand picked for such a time as this. Keep your eyes open for Him at work! Blessings - Joshua Wilkes

sirchadwick78 said...

Hey Andrew and Team,

Thanks for keeping us posted on what is happening! Alissa and I are VERY excited about what the Lord is going to be doing in and through you all. Keep you eyes on Him and guard your time with Him.
May the Lord bless you with eyes to see people the way He sees them and may He give you His love for each person He brings across your path.

We will be praying for you during your stay!
God bless!
Chad and Alissa

Unknown said...

Its so good to hear some news of you all! Sounds like you had a very warm Thanksgiving. Oh the memories! I pray all is going well for you all. Give hugs to my siblings. Thanks!

~Leisel

Erika said...

“As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country,” (Proverbs 25:25).

"I thank my God upon every remembrance of you…" (Philippians 1:3)
“…that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers,” (Romans 1:7-9).
“…Hearing of thy love and faith, which thou hast toward the Lord Jesus, and toward all saints; That the communication of thy faith may become effectual…” (Philemon 1:3-6).
"...that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power: That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him...” (II Thessalonians 1:11-12).

“They shall sing for the majesty of the LORD, they shall cry aloud from the sea. Wherefore glorify ye the LORD in the fires, even the name of the LORD God of Israel in the isles of the sea.” (Isaiah 24:14-15).

“Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you,” (II Thessalonians 3:1).

God bless you all! We are praying!

Erika Wenzel

Robert Staddon said...

Sounds like quite the adventure! Thanks for the report, Andrew. Make sure to avoid drinking any banana milkshakes! :)

Mathews in Minnesota said...

Andy,

I miss you. Tell a lot of people about Jesus! We prayed for you at Good News Club this week. I hope you preach well.

I can't wait until you get home!
May God bless you,
Love,
John-John

Unknown said...

Great to read how the Lord is moving there Andrew. I know that this time will change your life. Thank you for your obedience to the Lord in going to to minister in any way the Lord leads. Keep us in touch, we love to hear what is going on.